Monday, April 4, 2011

What is the unencumbered woman?

Addie, photo credit.
 I've always said that the unencumbered woman is more an aspiration than an actual person or self.  I pondered this today, considering that I've lapsed deep into cataloging my exploits as a daughter of aging parents.  Hardly a vision of trouble free living, indeed.  Nevertheless, there must be a way to experience life's rollercoaster ride with a view on not being hindered by the sorts of worries, drama, resentments and aches that plague us all.  Naturally, we all have good days and bad days.  Equally, there are many who deserve much more room for ache, hurt, stress and worry than many others.  One of my latest strategies for relaxation is to take care of some long awaited improvements to the interior of my home.  I've been sleeping on garage sale and hand me down linens since college (literally).  So I finally went to Garnet Hill and I bought my first Garnet Hill set of linens and duvet cover.  I won't even link to GH because it's such an embarrassment for me to buy brand new bed clothes anywhere but Sears or JCPenney, but this shows how much lift my own current crisis calls for.  I must say, I'm happy as a clam up in our snug, tidy, bedroom.


This formerly white rocker was my great-grandmother's and it sat in her bedroom on Wasco Street in Portland circa1920-1960.
And then the front porch.  If there ever was a time for a short list of people who don't make me frustrated or angry, it's now.  Along with immediate family, Jim has been there for me on a constant basis for I don't know how long. When he offered to help me paint chairs and floor of front porch, I flipped.  It's about time!  I planned it so I came home from our last trip with all the work finished.
Needlework corner!


Game corner!
The little tables were sort of a last minute decision and I'm so glad we decided to paint them.

No comments:

Post a Comment