Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Nicest Man on Campus

Dad at the Elks. December 31st, 2010.  Over a Manhattan and Chiraz for me:

**************************************************************

"I retired in 1987."

"I had a good job, Karen. Never a day with a problem."

"The year after I retired, the university had it's first strike."

**************************************************************

Jack W. Steward, Personnel Director, University Oregon, ca. 1961-1987.
Also true, the woman who replaced Dad after he retired renamed the department. 
She called it Human Resources. Dad always says, "I just didn't like the sound of that...resources, it doesn't sound like it's dealing with people." Mom used to always say that people would stop her on campus and say: "You're married to Jack Steward? Why, he's the nicest man on campus!"

No comments:

Post a Comment