Saturday, October 27, 2012

Real Country Music

Mr. Jukebox, Ernest Tubb. This one really grabbed me this morning, courtesy of Jivin' Johnny Etheredge on KRVM. Lines such as:

The jukebox just told my life story 
told it in the words of a song
So I'll have another drink to the jukebox and one to the man that wrote the song

So here Mr Jukebox please take my last dime
Tell me the story of my life one more time
Bring back the mem'ries of the past that was wrong
Here's another drink to you and the man who wrote the song
[ guitar ]
[ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/mr-jukebox-lyrics-ernest-tubb.html ]
So here Mr Jukebox please take my last dime
Tell me the story of my life one more time
Bring back the mem'ries of the past that was wrong
Here's my last drink to you then goodnight and so long





 
 Does it get any better? A crisp fall morning in suburbia. Martial Arts, swim workout, soccer, yarn workout, brunch for four, and gazing out the window at brilliant oranges and browns and a yellow maple that stuns the eyes. How do we keep our memories alive? How do we keep the memories of eternity alive? Nan says it's in the handwriting, others say fragrance. Music, obviously, is as evocative as it gets. Once, on a Saturday a few years ago I was driving around with Dad. I had the KRVM Country Clasic show on, and Dad, a long-time country-western listener/dancer, wondered aloud what in the world we were hearing. I answered, it's a show called "Country Classic", also known as "Country before it was cool". Dad chuckled, "I don't like real Country music!" I just had to laugh! What in the world could this ancient music have reminded him, of, after all? Wasn't he getting away from this stuff when he bucked the trend and went to college and joined a Fraternity, lived on side-walked streets for the rest of his days, watched TV, wore clean shirts and ties and read the newspaper every day?

March, 2012.
 The beauty of nostalgia, for folks like me, is that we buff it and spit on it and shine it 'til it looks just like the thing that we wish it would be and know that we'll never have to make it be. Fantasy, heck yeah! But today, OK, everyday, I'll take it!

1 comment:

  1. "What in the world could this ancient music have reminded him, of, after all?"

    Maybe this will provide a clue.

    Skip ahead to 13:33.

    ReplyDelete